Poker is a metaphor for life. At its essence, it boils down to assessing a situation with imperfect information and then making the right decisions. No wonder I'm so bad at it.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Just had a cool interview with a poker legend.

So I'm working on this project which I can't talk a whole lot about, but as part of the project I got to speak with Daniel Negreanu, 2004 CardPlayer of the Year and probably the best tournament card player of my generation (with Doyle being the best of his generation).

We got to chat for about an hour about a variety of things, but what I wanted to mention was that he has what could be a very cool video game coming it. It's called Stacked, and basically it's your run of the mill NL Hold'em video game right? Wrong. The AI in this game is supposed to be far advanced relative to other poker AI's. It has been in development by a bunch of extremely smart researchers at the University of Alberta in Canada.

What makes this AI so good? For starters, it adapts to your play so that it gets harder and harder for you to beat over time. As he was talking about it, my mind raced with the possbilities. Imagine using this game as a training aid to help you mix up your play in order to be more unpredictable? As you play a more and more challenging opponent, it forces you to adapt if you want to continue to perform well. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

As for Daniel, I can't believe how accessible he makes himself to anyone with a passion for poker. I wish him lots of success this year and look forward to one day playing heads up against him...if not in the WSOP...at least in Stacked. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home